VOLUNTEER+ in Tanzania
Position based: LEA English Media school Dongobesh
Duration of the stay: March 1st2019 – March 1st 2020
Application deadline: 27.10.2018
Main responsibilities of the volunteer:
- Assistant to the Head of departments in LEA school with an emphasis on practical teaching
- Providing practical tools for subjects such as math, vocational skills and others.
- Assisting teachers during lessons focusing on practical presentation - lesson preparations with the teacher so that they have the necessary tools in the classroom and know how to present them correctly.
- Opportunity program - if it still exists, maintaining contact - exchanging letters with American kids.
- Secondary school - help to build a "kuku house" - Secondary education focuses on agriculture, "kuku house" would teach the students to take care of hens, also teaching how to build such construction. The aim - food (eggs)
- Secondary - English and ICT classes
- Helping to prepare trainings together with Joshua Foundation for LEA teachers and helping with the implementation of gained skills
- Helping the primary school choir
- Evening activities
- Continue teaching computers, not only Microsoft Word but also Internet and Power point
- Projection of movies for children on Wednesdays and Saturdays and once in a while projection of a "mature topic" film for the older kids at hostel (st. 6, 7, Secondary) For example, documents about nature - environment, technology, etc.
- Art lessons for selected classes in the evening - painting, sewing, crafting, origami etc. Ideally, one of the teachers would be recruited to accompany the activities.
- Extra-curricular activities
- Continuation of the Library - providing books and keeping returns.
- Girls' groups - Bible studies for girls from Secondary school (prayers, discussions).
- “Children of Africa”
- Contact person between the school director and Children of Africa
- Providing information about new children ready for sponsorship and already sponsored children, photos and letters - Keeping regularity and emphasise more personal letters from older children.
- Counselling for more problematic sponsored children - personal interest, dialogues.
- Contact with other volunteers and preparation of new volunteers.
- Website and Instagram - Updating information about upcoming projects, supported activities - New materials for school - benches, paint, food, etc.
- Videos for "African Dreams" and website.
- Receiving guests from Europe, helping the director to organise the program
- Assistance at school with final exams.
- English for teachers who'd like to improve their level (if there is demand and time)
- Help the matron and the hostel manager with managing additional needs for children (clothing, shoes, others).
- Learning of Swahili (possibility to financially support a teacher)
- Compilation of a Story book about lives of our LEA children (collection of stories, etc.)
Ok, now, if you are still with us, let´s proceed to the next steps: